PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(433) : eval()'d code on line 106
PC Issue i've had since April.
Hello & Welcome to www.uk1-clan.co.uk
You can also find us on Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube
    Inactive UK1 member

PC Issue i've had since April.

Over the past couple of months i've been talking to a few people about my PC problem but so far no luck on finding the solution. Now hopefully with your guys input i may get to the root of the problem... i can only hope.
    I've posted my system specs in another forum:
    http://www.uk1-clan.co.uk/index.php/...m-SPECs/page28

Problem: My PC will freeze and or restart randomly.
    This have been going on since the end of April and still to this day. It NEVER does it when i am playing games, only when doing very little like surfing teh interwebs or just navigating folders on my PC. It most happens during the day while i am working (I work from home) and maybe in the evening when i am not working.

Things i done to find the cause:
    1) Cleaned out my case of all possible dust build ups (something i do once a month as my PC is also my place of work) - Including removing RAM from their slots and using compressed air to remove any dust particles.
    2) The PSU was replaced in March because the exhaust fan ball-bearings were on their way out which produced a loud vibration.
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/700w-black-c...ent-fan-264565 - Replacement PSU with voltage specs.
    3) My CPU has never been overclocked until a few days ago & my CPU temps never go over 55-60c under full load.
    4) My GPU only requires 160W maximum and is in within accepted temps when under full load.
    5) I have 5 120mm fans, 3 of which are powered by a jerry-rigged PSU - i've even used the exterior PSU to power my fans and doesn't change anything.
    6) Ran Memtest86 in windows which stress tested all four cores of my CPU. I could only test 6Gb or ram, but i divided that by the 4 cores and ran them 'till 100% completion with 0 Errors.
    7) Removed a windows update that caused other people's PC to freeze when playing vidoes with no joy.
    8) Re-Formatted my drive - i always disable "Automatically Restart" so that my pc does't get stuck in a re-boot loop in case i did something noobish.

I may have tried more things. When the problem started the only change i made to my system was i installed my sound card (X-FI Extreme PCI-E) and i got my 24" Monitor at the end of April. Infuriatingly enough the freezes/restarts only occur once a week and so testing a theory takes time :/

If any of you fine chaps have some suggestions - i am willing to try. I'm no noob when it comes to PC's but this is driving me nuts.

EDIT: Some times & dates of when this problem occurs (last month or so):
    11/11/12 - 13.35 (During Work)
    06/11/12 - 09.15 (Before Work - Surfing Web)
    30/10/12 - 16.11 (During Work)
    28/10/12 - 11.54 (During Work)
    23/10/12 - 09.14 (Before Work - Surfing Web)
    18/10/12 - 19.13 (After Work - Either Folder Navigating or Web Surfing)
    12/10/12 - 08.12 (Before Work - at that time i'd only just turned my PC on)
    Last edited by Tactical_Meatboy; 16-11-2012 at 04:52 PM.

Hmmm...

Is there any pattern to it? Does it do it straight away or only if it has been on for a while? Interestingly, is it more prone to happen when the system is under big load?

A PSU Calculator reckons this system is drawing a load of 617w (with a peak load of 680) which means the 700w PSU is operating at near capacity. I would suggest that the effects are consistent with a PSU issue.

Do you have/know somebody who can supply a beefier PSU to test with?

Budget PSUs have been known to randomly have fits for no reason, and have experienced a right slagging in Overclockers and other similar forums as not playing well with OCd CPUs etc. Not to say that it's a bad one, just that this would be my first option as swapping it out for a loaner PSU of 1000w would eliminate this as a suspect.

Cheers.
    I always win. Except when I lose, but then I just don't count it.

Inactive UK1 member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeidan View Post
    Hmmm...

Is there any pattern to it? Does it do it straight away or only if it has been on for a while? Interestingly, is it more prone to happen when the system is under big load?

A PSU Calculator reckons this system is drawing a load of 617w (with a peak load of 680) which means the 700w PSU is operating at near capacity. I would suggest that the effects are consistent with a PSU issue.

Do you have/know somebody who can supply a beefier PSU to test with?

Budget PSUs have been known to randomly have fits for no reason, and have experienced a right slagging in Overclockers and other similar forums as not playing well with OCd CPUs etc. Not to say that it's a bad one, just that this would be my first option as swapping it out for a loaner PSU of 1000w would eliminate this as a suspect.

Cheers.
    There's no pattern as such. As i mentioned above, 90% of the time it will happen during the day and it is completely random and only about once a week. Also it never happens when i'm maxing out my CPU with things like video rendering in Vegas Pro, or playing games at max settings and was doing it before i overclocked my CPU. I might edit my OP with a couple of times/dates listed in Event Viewer to give you an idea of when it happens.

I've just looked at a couple of PSU calcs. The first one was in-depth which listed my consumption at around 560W. A calc on ASUS's site (less in depth) recommended my PSU no less than 600W.
    I agree with your opinion in testing a higher wattage PSU as my first choice of tests. However when i built this rig last year (March) and up to around May this year there hasn't been any problems. In fact the PSU i had before was pretty much the same kind of PSU with the same wattage and i was getting this problem before i was forced to replace my PSU.

Doesn't sound like power or heat to me - they would be worse when playing games, rendering etc. Might be a corrupted Windows file causing it to crash. Have you tried reinstalling? Maybe a bad sector on the disk - could try a surface scan.

Inactive UK1 member
    probably not a psu issue as it is more likely for the psu to cause you trouble in stress..
    my best guess is the sound card since it's the only thing you changed..
    if not i recommend you put the latest bios (if not) and remove your soundcard for some days just to see if anything happens.
    what motherboard do you have?do you have c3 and c6 state in your bios setting on?
    i'm going deeper underground

Inactive UK1 member
    Quote Originally Posted by salamanderpete View Post
    Doesn't sound like power or heat to me - they would be worse when playing games, rendering etc. Might be a corrupted Windows file causing it to crash. Have you tried reinstalling? Maybe a bad sector on the disk - could try a surface scan.
    That's also what i thought - it doesn't make sense to me that i can game for hours on end and nothing happens yet if i surf the web it hoof me in the face.
    I've re-installed windows in the past month and i got through about 2 week i think before it did it. I use CCleaner every now and then, more so after installing to clear out unused registry files but it's worth a go. Not sure how long it will take to do 1Tb :P

Inactive UK1 member
    Quote Originally Posted by mondler View Post
    probably not a psu issue as it is more likely for the psu to cause you trouble in stress..
    my best guess is the sound card since it's the only thing you changed..
    if not i recommend you put the latest bios (if not) and remove your soundcard for some days just to see if anything happens.
    what motherboard do you have?do you have c3 and c6 state in your bios setting on?
    I've thought about it being the Sound Card many a time, but the problem is i only have my onboard sound (Realtek HD Audio - Azalia Codec) to fall back on which punkbuster doesn't like i.e. Azalia Codec + Punkbuster = Game Crash. A common problem.
    My motherboard as stated in my system specs in the other forum thread is: Gigabyte P55-USB3 with version F8 Bios. http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/prod...px?pid=3440#ov
    There is an F9 and F10g Bios update, however from the list they only Update SATA RAID ROM (F9) and USB3.0 Compatability (F10g).
    The C3/C6 States in the CPU Core Frequency section of my BIOS (M.I.T) is set to AUTO.

Inactive UK1 member
    i had a similar mb with azalia codec with no problem with bf3...
    in my opinion put the latest bios anyhow and if you don't mind you cpu running at all times at his stated speed close c3 and c6 state..it will only make your cpu work at his stock frequency at all times instead of dropping down when idle..
    and if you have anything else related to hibernate-suspened etc in bios turn it down..
    ps:even the minor update to the sata raid rom in your bios can fix your problem..keep that in mind and update everything.. ;)
    i'm going deeper underground

GarrettJele

PC Issue ive had since April

Since the last update my game crash when i want to go to the shop buy items or when I want to top up.

Im not the only one in my guild.

EUS49