PHP Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bootstrap.php(1422) : eval()'d code on line 193
HBAO ON or OFF?
Hello & Welcome to www.uk1-clan.co.uk
You can also find us on Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Watch us on YouTube

Thread: HBAO ON or OFF?

Inactive UK1 member

HBAO ON or OFF?

I have a question for you guys. Today i manage to solve a problem which i had regarding my nvidia drivers, surround gaming and BC2. I am again able to play the game in surround mode so i check again my frames in the big resolution of 5760x1080. I had on AAx4, AFx16 and HBAO on. I saw that the frames didn't go up more than 42. After some changes i realize that disabling HBAO the frames raise up to 60FPS, i had a difference of 15FPS maybe more. That means that HBAO make use a lot of power from the vga's. I couldn't understand big different between enabling and disabling HBAO in the graphics. By the way HBAO is the abbreviation of Horizon Based Ambient Occlusion. Here i stole some pics from another forum to see the difference.
    http://img684.yfrog.com/img684/9611/hbao1.png
    http://img690.yfrog.com/img690/6997/hbao2.png
    I prefer of course the higher fps as i can't see the difference between on/off. Which is your opinion? Can you see any difference?

UK1 members

Re: HBAO ON or OFF?

I know that HBAO is a GPU Killer. I guess because I don't run the crazy screen resolution that you do that I can get away with running it ok and still have very good playable frame rates, however I also struggle to see much of a difference with it on or off as well.

We need Guns, lots of Guns

I have been playing around with it on and off and I can't tell any difference apart from lower FPS by around 15 to 20 frames.

I can see a difference when I switch on/off. The shadows look slightly more realistic with it on. However, if you were to ask me after an hour of playing whether it was on or off I wouldn't know. I leave it off, have everything else on max, and get about 100fps. With it on, it drops to about 80fps. Still good, but then I'm running on one monitor, not three!

The linked pics don't really demonstrate anything, because where you are more likely to see it is shadows on the player models from short distance.

Bottom line is this: If you're not sure if you can see the difference, and you get +20% fps with it off, turn it off. Definitely.

Inactive UK1 member

Thanks for the help. I keep it off in order to have better performance. CU all on feild.. ;)